Driven to Dance

Independent Sport Spotlight

Natasha Heyer

Dance is a way for people to express their creativity and to be in touch with their bodies. For students who decide to opt out of Laguna’s traditional sports, dance is a popular option for them to pursue outside of school as an independent sport.

Dance requires dedication, motivation and com- mitment. Freshman Mia Humberd-Hilf, sophomore Sophie Henderson, senior Clara Hillis and senior Zuley Lewis are dancers who have chosen a wide range of styles that have led to their success both locally and nationally.

Clara Hillis

“I do ballet and everything about my ballet school is very classical. Our hair has to be in buns, we wear point shoes and tutus for performances. Dancing has deffnitely given me more tenacity. It has taken me a really long time to get to where I am now, but it feels really good knowing that I have worked hard for every solo I have received. I do four performances a year: “The Nutcracker,” a small gala, a full-length classical ballet in the spring and a summer intensive workshop performance.

Zuley Lewis

“I dance by myself in a studio. I’ve been dancing since I was two. I started with ballet, then moved on to jazz and contemporary and modern, then I did African dance, and Bollywood and Broadway.

Dancers have a unique ability to know their bodies really well, better than any other athlete. You have to take care of your body because you have to move it in ways that no one else really does and in ways that are sort of unnatural; so it kind of allows you to know your body and know what you can do and what your limits are.

Everyone says dancing is an easy sport or not a sport, but it’s so di cult, and it takes so much muscle, energy, and power that very few people can actually do it. It deserves more credit than it gets.”

Sophie Henderson

“I have been dancing for about 12 years. I mostly dance ballet and some contemporary, but I have also taken a couple of classes in tap, hip hop, lyrical, jazz, ballroom, and musical theatre.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned from dance is dis- cipline. You also have to learn how to be friendly towards your competitors and friends when you might not get the role you wanted.

It is tough because every dancer is usually competing for the same role and usually only one or two of them actually get it.

I have learned how to be happy for my best friends when things don’t work out how I had wanted.”

Mia Humberd-Hilf

“I have been ballroom dancing for seven years. I do it for ve to six days a week.

Partners change but I often compete with my teacher; however in competitions, only the student is being judged.

Ballroom dancing helps with determination and teaches hard-work because it takes a long time to get to certain levels and certain competitions because you have to qualify.

I have qualifed for nationals and for the World Ballroom Dance Championships.”