The Reviews Are In: Batman V Superman is a Super-fail

Batman-V-Superman-Armored-Batsuit-Costume-Comic-Con

DC has had a string of failures. Aside from the considerable success of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, the colossal comic book company has not done well in the movie department. Green Lantern, Watchmen, Man of Steel and more have flopped in the box office, and all the while Marvel is speedily building up their cinematic empire. Batman V Superman was supposed to be DC’s saving grace, ushering in a Marvel-esque “DC Expanded Universe,” tying in all of their major heroes. This was supposed to lead to a Justice League movie in a few years, which would bring DC back to the forefront of the comic book world.

Of course, all of that was assuming the movie was actually, you know, good. Which, according to the popular movie rating site Rotten Tomatoes, it isn’t. It only got forty percent, or a 4/10, with the critic’s consensus that it “smothers a potentially powerful story—and some of America’s most iconic superheroes—in a grim whirlwind of effects-driven action.” Not that our expectations were high. From the trailers, the internet was going crazy pointing out all of the flaws: Frenetic Jesse Eisenberg as the stern and imposing Lex Luthor and middle-aged Batman, and the classic, Spider-Man 3 style blunder of trying to cram as many characters and storylines into one movie as possible.

I don’t know, though. I haven’t seen the movie, and, if these early reviews are a good indicator of the quality, I’m not sure that I will. Ok, that was a lie. I definitely will. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to enjoy it. To me, and, it would seem, the critics, it looks like just another DC mishmash of effects, general grittiness and angst. In other news, the new Captain America movie comes out in a month, and my prediction is: It’s going to be amazing, break records, and not include Ben Affleck as Batman. (Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?)

UPDATE: I saw the movie! It was… well, terrible. The story and characters fell flat, the lack of humor was both crippling and abundant, and the character development was like watching grass grow: not only did it take an unfortunately long time, but I gained no enjoyment from any of it. And the fight between the two titular characters was just plain depressing, climaxing in one of the worst climaxes in the history of superhero movies. EVER. (If you’ve seen it… Martha, anyone?) So, I have to agree with the reviews. I didn’t come in with high hopes, and even those low hopes were hopelessly crushed by DC’s latest failed attempt at making a Marvel movie. Be prepared for “Justice League Part One,” which, if this movie is any indication, will set new records as worst “Avengers” ripoff in history.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO8g90z3VU[/youtube]

$50
$500