Mr. Chan Named New Head of Middle School

Student cheers were heard across campus on Thursday when Head of School Rob Hereford announced that Steve Chan will be Laguna Blanca’s new Head of Middle School effective July 1, 2016.

After a thorough national search and numerous interviews over the past few months, the search recently culminated with three final candidates who met with members of the Laguna community. “While all the finalists were qualified for the position, it was clear from the overwhelmingly positive feedback from students, faculty, and parents, that Mr. Chan’s experience, proven track record, and deep desire to make Laguna the best school it can be, made him the right choice to lead Laguna’s Middle School,” said Mr. Hereford.

Mr. Chan brings to Laguna a wealth of Middle School experience, including twenty years of teaching at that level. Before joining the Laguna Blanca faculty in 2014 as a history instructor, he served as the Dean of School at The Episcopal School of Los Angeles, and he taught at Harvard-Westlake. As Laguna transitioned to new Middle School leadership this year, Mr. Chan added the responsibilities of Assistant Head of Middle School. “His natural ability to connect with students, faculty, and parents, as well as his keen intellect and thoughtful approach to solving problems is what makes him a standout leader,” adds Mr. Hereford.

After the interview process, community members described Mr. Chan as “a person who is continually learning and evolving, which would set the perfect tone for the Middle School,” and “positive, respectful…and a very compassionate and active listener.” They appreciated “his calm personality, his humor, and his collegiality,” along with his “heart for the Middle School.” Chan’s biggest fans—the students—can be assured that he plans to maintain a teaching role while also serving as the Head of Middle School.

Thank you to all who participated in the search process for Laguna’s new Head of Middle School, particularly the Search Committee members: Anna Alldredge, Allison Armstrong, Blake Dorfman, Landon Neustadt, and Rose Steeber.

Congratulations to Mr. Chan on his new position!
$50
$500