Do We Still “Like” Instagram?

Do We Still Like Instagram?

So my mom tried to follow me on Instagram a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I kind of had to accept her request. I mean, what else was I supposed to do? I would have never heard the end of it if I hadn’t.

So, I let her follow me. But not before I went and changed every comment and erased every picture that I wanted to keep private. This includes any use of ‘foul’ language and/or a certain emoji depicting a single hand pointing that one finger-hint: it’s not the pointer finger. Not that there was anything that bad, but I don’t want my mother to see everything.

That means changing a lot of comments. Sorry mom.

First, let’s talk about Facebook. Five years ago, Facebook was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Everybody who had a life had an account. Of course, that didn’t include me, but that’s beside the point.

More recently in 2014, according to Jetscram, only 5 percent of Facebook’s 1.2 billion active users were under the age of 18, while 31.1 percent of users were between the ages of 35 and 54, effectively filling everyone’s feeds with pictures of pets, ‘cute’ children, and selfies taken from unflattering angles.

I think I’ve seen your cat enough, Grandma, thanks though.

Anyway, recently, there have been a larger amount of middle aged and older people creating profiles on Instagram. Subsequently, not as many teens have been active, instead favoring Snapchat and other up-and-coming social media platforms.

Seriously, do I want to have my mom comment on all my pictures? Do I want my grandmother to know everything that I do? It seems a little extensive, which is why we should create a social media platform that is only for people under the age of 20.

Just kidding.

But, actually, it’s kind of a problem. I don’t really want my mom to be monitoring my every single move. Shouldn’t I have some freedom? I guess not, according to my wonderful mother, who, by the way, is for sure going to kill me after she reads this.

Once again-sorry mom.

Right now, Instagram is still a popular media platform, but looking at the recently collected data, in a few years, both your Instagram and Facebook feeds will be filled with pictures of sleeping cats.

$50
$500