Riding the Bus

Scan 2

No matter which way you look at it, Laguna is just a little bit isolated, location-wise. For people living in most of Santa Barbara, it can be a real pain to drive there for school every morning. I live in Montecito, and, even without traffic, the drive is still fifteen minutes at least. Add in the traffic, and it becomes a nightmare. But that’s just me. I go to school at Laguna; I would be taking the route either way. My parents, on the other hand, have plenty of other things in their busy lives that they could be doing for forty-five minutes every morning. And that’s why I take the bus.

IMG_5346And yes, it is a great option for my parents, who would much rather be sleeping, eating breakfast, or doing virtually anything else than carting my butt around whenever I want them too. But it’s also a morning ritual that I genuinely enjoy. Since I live across the street from the lower school campus and bus stop, the bus is easily accessible for me, and allows me to get a little morning exercise walking to the bus stop every morning.

Once I get on the bus, I’m greeted by the friendly bus driver, who knows me by name. I immediately make my way to the back of the bus, my favorite area of the vehicle. It has the best views, seclusion, legroom, and it’s next to the heater, which is awesome. I pull out my phone, plug in my headphones, and blast music for the next fifteen to thirty minutes as we make our way to school.
IMG_5348I’m not gonna lie; the bus isn’t the perfect utopia it seems to be. It’s great, and fun, but there are definitely some problems. For one, I’m pretty sure that they haven’t even heard of shock absorbers over at the bus manufacturing plant, because it is a severely bumpy ride! I’m actually sitting on the bus as I’m writing this, and every bump in the toad—sorry, road—makes me miss keys, accidentally delete important words, or almost drop my laptop! Well, maybe it isn’t that bad, but you get the picture.

Speaking of typing, the bus is actually a great place to get that pesky last minute assignment done before first period, if you aren’t bothered by a little bit of turbulence. I’ve been saved many times from the wrath of my teachers by taking advantage of the quiet solitude that I get sitting in the back row. On the opposite hand, I also manage catch up on my favorite TV shows on my phone if I don’t have any work to do, which is pretty sweet.

The bus is awesome. I get to see a whole new view of Santa Barbara, catch up on homework, and get to school early. I’m really glad that my parents signed me up, because, as a non-driving freshman, it’s a great opportunity to be slightly less of a burden. If anybody out there lives far away from Hope Ranch and would like a quiet place to work and chill on the way to school, and maybe do a little favor for your parents, you should definitely check out the bus.

$50
$500