Call for Submissions – Editorial Cartoons by Teens

Call for Submissions - Editorial Cartoons by Teens

I am writing to solicit assistance in promoting awareness about the 2016 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards which is open to middle and high school students. Attached please find flyers to share with students, educators and parents. A new award category, Editorial Cartoons, sponsored by The Herb Block Foundation, is designated for artwork that emits a political theme or message. Up to three Medal recipients in this category will each be awarded a scholarship of $1,000. This is an incredible opportunity for teens to be recognized and celebrated for their talent and ideas. A student at your school, Kela Johnson, received a Superior ranking at the JEA Write-Off convention in San Diego last year so I am hopeful that more students at your school will be motivated to enter their submissions.

Editorial cartoons may be in the form of, but are not limited to single panel drawings with captions, sequential comic art, illustrations, digitally created drawings, or animated films with a political theme or message. I sincerely hope that the teens in your school’s network share their perspectives about current local and world issues by participating. Students and educators should visit our website, artandwriting.org for more information.

Deadline: The deadline for submission is generally mid-December but varies by region. Please visit our website for specific submission requirements and deadlines based on your location.

About Scholastic Art & Writing Awards: Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation’s youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated. Each year, increasing numbers of teens participate in the program, and become a part of our community—young artists and writers, filmmakers and photographers, poets and sculptors, video game artists and science fiction writers, along with countless educators who support and encourage the creative process.

About The Herb Block Foundation: The Foundation is committed to defending basic freedoms, combating all forms of discrimination and prejudice, and improving the condition of the poor and underprivileged. In addition, the Foundation promotes editorial cartooning and awards scholarships based on financial need to individuals seeking to attend community colleges in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. To learn more, visit www.herbblockfoundation.org.

All the Best,

Tendo Mutanda
Program Manager

Tendo Mutanda
Manager, Programs
Scholastic Art & Writing Awards
557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
212.343.7881
Facebook | Twitter | Blog

artandwriting.org