Rock and Roll Is Dead

Today, when you listen to popular radio  stations you don’t hear rock—you hear pop.

From the ‘60s to the ‘90s, rock was generally the most popular form of music. Now, it seems that rock is fading. There are bands, like The Black Keys, that are still producing rock music, but even their music has changed into a more pop sound.

Many believe that rock is dead, and that more electronic sounds like dubstep and trap are the wave of the future. Perhaps, rock is manifesting itself in a new form, but people looking for true rock are forced to turned to dusty records and bygone  bands of a departed era.

Many music experts believe that when the commercialization of rock began, so did its slow and painful decline.

In the ‘50s and ‘60s, the earliest forms of rock were considered the devil’s music. “When I bought my first Monkees album, I had to hide it under my bed and play it when my parents we’re out the house” says Rosa Chavez, a teenager in the ‘60s and ‘70s. The taboo behind rock and roll was what made it so popular.

In 1969, the most important rock festival of all time took place: Woodstock. For three days the best music acts of the time played for a crowd 400,000 people.

Music these days doesn’t have the same have an effect on societal issues the way it did back then. Songs are made for fame and money, not social statements. Rock was for making a statement, and pop is for fame.