Before They Were Teachers

Mr. Kevin Shertzer’s interview continued:
Since he had no idea what he wanted to do in terms of a career at the time, he figured he should do things he enjoyed while he had the time.
“There is a period in many people’s lives after college where they are lost, not knowing what to do,” said Shertzer. Because of his impressive undergraduate education from Yale, he had offers right out of college to work on Wall Street. But everything about that sounded awful to him, except for the pay.
Throughout his twenties, Shertzer spent some time trying to find something that made him happy. He spent a year in Minnesota where he guided fishing trips in the summer and raced sled dogs in the winter. He became restless in Minnesota, so then moved out to Los Angeles and worked for a film company while playing in a band called “Mazeltaco.”
“All of this was really fun but it didn’t lead to a long-term career. So I went back to school to become a teacher and right out of UCSB joined Laguna.
Today Shertzer still has a love for soccer, as he is the girl’s soccer coach, and also loves ceramics, plays both the guitar and banjo—he is working on an album with his brother—has two snakes, Scooter and Kaiser Wilhelm II, and, of course, has a love for succulents and cactus.

Ms. Martha Elliott’s interview continued:
After Fred Friendly retired, she then went on to start her own production company with her co-worker, Cynthia McFadden, called Cynemar, producing programs for PBS, such as Bookmark with Lewis Lapham, and for Lifetime TV.

Ms. Bojana Hill’s interview continued:
Not every English teacher is a native from the former Yugoslavia, now Serbia. Because Yugoslavia was the only East European country that was not a part of the Eastern/Soviet Bloc, Ms. Hill grew up in relative freedom, where she traveled, read, and studied as she wished. “My parents were not interested in communism, and neither was I.”