Once Upon a Mattress: Seniors’ Final Curtain Call

Laguna’s Spring musical, Once Upon a Mattress a comedic spin off of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Princess and the Pea was a show of two significant firsts.
“It was the first time in my tenure at Laguna that there has been an all-student orchestra,” said Director and Theater Arts Instructor Mr. Joseph Beck.
Second, for 12 of the musical’s 20 student-participants, it was their first time appearing in an Upper School production.
In spite of its inaugural pit-band and its overwhelmingly green cast, Once Upon a Mattress turned out to be quite professional and was met with much acclaim.
“I was swept up by its medieval splendor,” said sophomore Quentin Tedesco, “and I especially liked Andrew Puzder’s performance.”
Andrew, one of the production’s many rookies, played the dashing knight Sir Harry whose job it is to find a princess for Prince Dauntless, played by freshman Connor Curran.
Harry must act quickly for two reasons. First, Dauntless’ mother—the Queen, played by Junior Zoe Serbin is the definition of a helicopter mom and will only accept the perfect princess.
Second, Harry must find Dauntless a bride due to the scandalous consequences of his relationship with Lady Larken, played by senior Allie Lafitte. “Let’s just say that Sir Harry had about nine months to find Dauntless ‘the one,’” said Allie.
Allie, one of four seniors in the production, marked her fourth Laguna dramatic role. Morgan Raith, Ari Rodriguez and Cameron Platt were the other seniors.
For Cameron, who played Princess Winifred—the long-lost solution to both Dauntless and Sir Harry’s problems—Once Upon a Mattress was her seventh Laguna performance.
“Putting together ‘Mattress’ was a particularly emotional process, due to its being my final show at Laguna,” said Cameron.
“This show was special in that it pushed me, as a senior working alongside a middle-school dominated ensemble, to be a role model and mentor in the theatre more than ever before.”
The presence of middle-school students also tested the capabilities of Stage Manager sophomore Margaret Lazarovitz.
“At times, working with younger kids made things a little difficult. ‘Mattress’ was quite an adventure. However, all of the strife and stress is worth it, for when everything comes together—the lights, the band, the dancing—you’re met with one of the greatest feelings in the world.”
Cameron said, “I can’t quantify the growth I’ve undergone, the lessons I’ve learned, the friendships I’ve formed and strengthened and/or the memories I’ve made on the Spaulding Auditorium stage. I will dearly miss the Laguna theatre clan and its many quirks. It has been an honor to act here.”