Scholastic/Alliance for Young Artists & Writers Fellows Program

The Scholastic/Alliance Fellows program introduces college students to publishing and media careers through an intensive internship that takes place at the Alliance and Scholastic headquarters in New York City. The program is part of the company’s ongoing commitment to promote diversity in the publishing industry.

Open to current college students and graduating college seniors who were past Scholastic Art & Writing Awards winners*, the Fellows program provides students with hands-on experience in various aspects of the publishing business and nonprofit arts management, including editorial, design, marketing, promotion and outreach. In addition to the work experience, Fellows are immersed in a rigorous pre-professional curriculum specifically designed to hone leadership skills. Fellows are assigned a mentor for work management and professional coaching.

Scholastic/Alliance Fellows will also have the opportunity to “give back” to future generations of artists and writers by engaging in meaningful efforts to further the mission of The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards and the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, a nonprofit organization, identifies teenagers with exceptional artistic and literary talent and brings their remarkable work to a national audience through The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.

Program Dates

The Fellowship program is a component of Scholastic’s corporate internship program and it will run from Monday, June 18th through Friday, August 10th, 2012.

Program Specifics

Fellowships are available in New York City at Scholastic’s corporate headquarters. ** Fellows are paid $12 per hour and work a 35-hour week.

How to Apply

We are currently accepting online applications for the Scholastic/Alliance for Young Artists & Writers Fellows Program through April 13, 2012.

* If there are issues with the link provided feel free to send your documents to [email protected] [SUBJECT LINE: Scholastic/Alliance Fellows Program 2012]

Application Materials Required

– Cover letter with Short Answer Question – Describe in 100 words or less how your personal, academic and/or professional experiences inform your ability to bring a diverse perspective to Scholastic
– Current resume
– Original art & design sample (this is optional for applicants with art & design majors)

Selection of Fellows

Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic standing, cover letter, resume, short answer question, participation and demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, previous work and/or internship experience, as well as personal experiences that inform a diverse perspective for the publishing industry.

Finalists will be interviewed by telephone. References may be requested. Students accepted as Fellows will be notified by April. 30, 2012.

While we appreciate your interest in the Scholastic/Alliance Fellows Program, only students under consideration will be contacted.