Rediscovering the Timepiece

Students are choosing to glance upon their wrists instead of their mobile phones for the tick of the hour, while finding love for watches once again in new designer styles.

Jet-setters who once ditched their wrist watches for the sleek screen of a cell phone are rediscovering their forgotten time keepers. The tables have begun to turn, and watches are back on campus.

Although it seems girls may use their watches more as an accessory, guys have more practical uses for their watches.
In early 1900s the wristwatch was originally called the “Wristlet,” and was largely marketed to women but was never considered a serious timepiece.
That all changed when World War I came along, and men needed an easier way to keep track of time, so they strapped their pocket watches to their wrists with leather straps.

Over time, the wristwatch has become a mark of style. Laguna students and fashion trend setters alike have taken notice of this re-occurring trend and are beginning to sport the classic accessory again.

“I feel watches are both practical and a great accessory. They can also make one look more studious and create a more accomplished look,” said sophomore Margaret Hartmann, an avid fashion trend-setter.  Watches are  a great way to effortlessly complete an outfit of any style.

“Watches have gone beyond telling time. Adults can wear them to make a statement or show off. You see all the rappers with watches with huge diamonds in them. They are obviously not wearing them to tell time but rather to make a statement about their wealth. I guess people now prefer to wear them as a fashion accessory instead of using them to tell time,”  freshman Sam Brown said.
Laguna’s fashion conscious trend-setters clearly keep pace with the larger fashion industry and its ever-changing trends.

Watchmakers like Rolex and Cartier are famed for their classic timepieces, but now trendier fashion houses such as Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors have introduced their own takes on the accessory.

Spotted both in the courtyards of Laguna Blanca and on the streets of the world’s most fashion forward cities, watches are definitely here to stay.