á la mode – Packing for College

A minimalistic approach for students beginning to pack their bags for the fall.

One concern flutters as the seniors prepare to graduate high school and embark on new adventures: packing for college. Each student will head to different regions and universities–to other cities, climates, and community atmospheres. They must pack their necessities into boxes and bags to be shipped off. 

For some who have only known the warm, dependable weather and laid-back style of Santa Barbara, a move to a new climate will be a tough adjustment, especially if it’s a switch from sun to snow. 

“Connecticut is pretty cold in the winter; it gets a fair amount of snow, so I think I’ll for sure have to adjust, and I’ll probably buy some puffers or something,” senior Sarah Woodhouse said.

Many students choose to pack everything with them for college; however, bringing all your belongings, especially clothes, will quickly fill the confined, often shared, dorm space. So what is the solution? It is imperative to narrow down the contents of your suitcases, boxes, and bags to avoid de-cluttering your future dorm space that you’re lugging. Using a mix of the famous Marie Kondo method, asking yourself, “Does it spark joy?” and a newer concept of a capsule wardrobe, packing, unpacking, and maintaining order will become much more manageable. 

A capsule wardrobe is the concept of keeping a minimal collection of classic clothes, not based on fast fashion and trendy clothes.Even with strict minimalistic packing practices, it is still important to pack personal essentials, whether a childhood teddy bear or a lucky football jersey. 

“One of my essential pieces would be my Dior b23 high tops… then my brown worker Converse, lots of black, white, and gray shirts, and jeans. I plan to find outerwear in thrift stores or other resellers, so I don’t have to pack a lot of clothes with me. I also love to layer up since it adds a lot of depth to an outfit, but since the weather is both sunny and cold, it can be inconsistent,” senior Jack Garcia said.

The key to a minimal, or capsule, wardrobe starts with basics that can be layered and worn throughout every season—all pieces that can be neutral and styled together—such as a reliable pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a sweater. 

“Honestly, I just like the basic blue jeans and a white top with either a zip-up or a hoodie. I have an extensive hoodie collection. If it’s cold, I’ll definitely need them all,” Sarah said. 

Once the basics are covered, there’s the element of finding fun pieces that spark joy. Here is a starter guide for a capsule wardrobe: