CIAO!  A three-week immersive summer program in Rome and Sant’Angelo in Pontano, Italy

The Center for Sustainable Urbanism announces the return of ciao! – a three-week immersive summer program in Rome and Sant’Angelo in Pontano, Italy. The program was canceled in 2020-21 due to COVID19 but we are reactivating it for July, 2022.  This is a program for STEAM students interested in a sustainable built environment.

ciao! (Center for Introduction to Architecture Overseas) offers students an opportunity to learn about the built environment using Rome as a living laboratory.  Its outdoor classrooms and museums offer lessons on art. architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, and planning from a holistic and sustainability perspective.

These are applied in the second and third week in an atelier environment in Sant’Angelo in Pontano where the students get a hands-on studio experience designing with computer software and constructing models.  Their designs must address a real local need for a real client and sustainable ideas will be incorporated into their solutions.

Results are then presented to the mayor and local community. Student ages range from 16 to 19 and backgrounds vary with respect to prior coursework, yet ciao! faculty work with each student on a one-on-one basis to bring out each one’s personal best.  Students complete the program with a strong understanding of how a sustainable building environment can influence future growth in our dynamic and changing world.   For more information visit our website:  www.ciaocfsu.org to examine program details including daily itinerary and faculty qualifications.

Numerous colleges and universities recognize ciao! participants  ciao!   We are very proud of their achievements, including one student who made Forbes’ 30 Under 30 at age 18 and was subsequently featured on the cover of Forbes magazine!

I thank you for sharing this information with your students that you think are interested in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) subjects. Few realize the impact on sustainability of the built environment and Rome provides a great learning laboratory and global perspective.

We have already begun accepting students for ciao! 2022.  Due to uncertainties created by the global pandemic, this year the early application deadline has been pushed back to May 1st.  The final application deadline is May 15th.  We would welcome applicants from Laguna Blanca.

Cordiali saluti,

Gail

Gail Whitney Karn AIA
Director
CIAO!  Center for Introduction to Architecture Overseas
Co-Founder
Center for Sustainable Urbanism
+1 617 480 9044
+39 331 117 4972
[email protected]

www.ciaocfsu.org