Write the World’s Civics in Action 2020

Write the World’s Civics in Action 2020

Write the World’s

Civics in Action 2020

An Invitation to Apply for Students Ages 13-19

Write the World invites students from across the country and around the world to apply for our inaugural Civics in Action 2020 writing program. A select group of participating students, ages 13-19, will contribute civic-minded op-eds, long-form articles, letters to the editor, reflections and other forms of multimedia storytelling in response to issues that are important to them. From coverage of the 2020 election to other pressing issues of our time (environmental activism, (im)migration, racial justice, for example), selected student writers  will work with Write the World editors to develop and submit nonpartisan pieces for publication on a dedicated section of our website to hone their journalism skills and experience the thrill of publication.

For this exciting opportunity, Write the World is working with two key partner organizations – The National Children’s Campaign and Facing History and Ourselves – to amplify cross-promotion. In addition, we plan to publish a book comprised of selected pieces that have been published on Write the World throughout the year. Young writers will utilize their voices to call attention to issues that matter to them in an age of entropy, exemplifying that it remains possible– and is perhaps more important than ever– to engage in respectful, informed dialogue across political, personal, or contextual differences.

In order to apply, please complete the following steps:

1. Read the Description of the Role to make sure it’s right for you:

Using Write the World prompts and accompanying resources, participants will submit writing and/or multimedia works every month from March 2020 through January 2021, following the trajectory of the United States election cycle. This timeline will coincide with the National Children’s Campaign youth bus tour through battleground states, which will conclude in an event at the National Mall.

1. Commit to Draft Schedule:

We will publish 1-2 pieces of original work (written and/or multimedia) each month. As a participating writer, you will respond to specific Write the World prompts and use our resources as inspiration. Write the World editors and educators will offer feedback, helping you through the drafting and revision stages, with an eye towards publication and cross-promotion.

1. Apply: Email [email protected]and include the following information:
  2. Your name, age, and hometown.
  3. A piece of writing you’re particularly proud of.
  4. In 50-100 words, tell us: What does “civics” mean to you?
  5. Optional: 1-2 examples of prior multimedia work (note: previous multimedia experience not required!).

All submissions are due by March 12, 2020, 5 P.M. EST. 

**If you have any questions, please reach out to [email protected]