Film Review: A Star is Born

Back to Article
Back to Article

Film Review: A Star is Born

Maggie Newell

Produced, directed, wrote, starred in, and even cast his own dog in the movie, Bradley Cooper took a lot on throughout the demanding process of bringing ‘A Star is Born’ to audiences, and it has paid off. Despite the fact that three different renditions of ‘A Star is Born’ (1937, 1954, 1976) have been released to this date, the box office hasn’t succumbed to most predictions and instead, has become a new ‘Oscar favorite’. It is a story that everyone can relate to. Its genuine and vulnerable perspective on a heartbreaking relationship between country rockstar, Jackson Maine, and struggling songwriter, Ally, is what makes it so memorable.

In the film, Maine persuades Ally to pursue her musical passion by bringing her directly into the limelight during a chaotic concert. What ensues is the complex, emotionally destructive cycle between the two as Maine’s career becomes more dependent on his alcohol abuse and Ally’s, on her pressure from record label officials. However, both characters do not contain the stereotypical, one-dimensional gender roles.

This is due to Cooper’s direction. The way the characters are written to have strong and multi-faceted characteristics allow significant attachment and empathy towards them. Their performances only augment this sensation among the audience. There is something so intriguing about Lady Gaga’s portrayal of Ally to the audience. Her performance of ‘La Vie en Rose’ was particularly captivating, and it is her notable talent that makes the film all the more moving and realistic. Sam Elliott also deserves a lot of credit for his contribution to the devastating relationship between Maine (Cooper), his brother.

In conclusion, ‘A Star is Born’ is a heartbreaking, thunderous crowd pleaser that everyone can connect with. Cooper and Gaga’s chemistry is hard to deny, making for a captivating and authentic representation of the sacrifice that accompanies relationships.

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Reviews

Bandersnatch: Is it a commentary on our reality?

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Reviews

Thronebreaker Game Review

• Arts & Entertainment

5 Best Looking Shoes from 2018

• Arts & Entertainment

Creed II Review

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Arts & Entertainment

Reviewing The Dark Night

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Recipes

Toasted Meringue Lemon Queen Cakes

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Recipes

Perfect Thanksgiving Apple Pie Recipe

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Arts & Entertainment

Make Your Thanksgiving Table POP!

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Arts & Entertainment

Halloween at Laguna

• Film Review: A Star is Born

Recipes

Cinnamon Apple Crumble {Made Delicious}

Film Review: A Star is Born