Fall Sports Preview

PHOTO: EVA DAVIS

According to Director of Athletics Mr. Mike Biermann, Laguna is filled with perhaps the most athletic student body to date.
The sports teams of the 2011 fall season have big things in sight.
With the majority of the teams being primarily senior-led and senior-dominated and backed up with a healthy junior and sophomore class there is a good chance that every single sport team will have a chance at the CIF playoffs in November.
The freshmen class is flourishing with student athletes such as Parker Rusack who is following in the footsteps of his two brothers, Hunter and Austin, and Stephen McCaffery following in his brother, senior Andrew McCaffery’s footsteps. They are cutting a trail in football, soccer, and lacrosse. The LBS sports program is foreseeing great achievements.
For the prestigious co-ed cross-country team, led by seniors Alex Greer and Luke Judson, the contingent has been running at Laguna for over 10 years.
Trained and coached by second year instructor, Frazer Hazlett, a top-notch physical therapist and workout guru at the acclaimed Platinum Gym- the cross country team’s practices have been filled with intense workouts and lots of running.
Abdominal exercises, jumping drills, long distance training, and even dynamic pushups all formulate “the perfect all around workout” says senior Alex Greer which will “doubtlessly lead us to the Mt. Sac finals.”
When asked about the upcoming season, Luke Judson, a veteran long distance runner and avid cyclist, said, “we have a lot of good athletes on our team. With our intense training program, I am sure that we will all be prepared for the meets in the future.”
On the volleyball court, the feisty girls have been making their presence known.
Seniors Lauren Alef and Amanda Harvey were given all-tournament recognition at their last volleyball event and are the two fires that will  light the LBS volleyball team to victory this year.
Coming off of four great seasons for the girls’ volleyball team, this year’s girls will spike and dive their way to the CIF playoffs.
“This year, we have a lot of really good players on the team. With some new incoming freshmen and a strong presence of returning upperclassmen, I am really excited about this season,” said Harvey.
Practicing since mid-August, the LBS volleyball program has been coached well and training hard and pushing their way to the CIF playoffs.
Amanda Harvey is not the only one excited for the upcoming season.
Beginning the season at 2-0 with wins over Westmark and Santa Maria Valley Christian, the LBS boys’ football team is off to a great start.

PHOTO: EVA DAVIS

With seniors Logan Elder and Brandon Bickett playing positions at  Wide Receiver/Running-Back, and Quarter-Back respectively, the Owls have set their sights on a playoff day view: “If we practice well, I know we will have a great season,” continued the head football coach Mr. Ray Robitaille.
Filled with dynamic offensive formations and a sly defensive scheme, the boys’ varsity football squad has already fought their way to two non-league wins.
Soaring off and taking flight, the Owls girl’s tennis team has been hitting their way to a fantastic start.
The Lady Owls have been practicing and have training since Aug. 27 for league matches.
Gaining three new freshman and a new head coach, the girls are a rejuvenated team.
“The team moral has definitely improved and is destined to show in our outcomes,” said doubles player junior Helena Davila.