Sailing Team Takes Home High Honors from Santa Barbara Youth Sailing Foundation

PHOTO: MATTHEW COHEN

Over the summer, members of the Laguna Blanca Sailing Team, seniors Savanna Brown and Tucker Atterbury, and junior Cassidy Shevitz received high honors from the Santa Barbara Youth Sailing Foundation for their achievements.
Tucker  received the Sheridan P. Gerard Trophy Perpetual Crew Award. According to SBYF, the Sheridan P.

Gerard Trophy is awarded to the sailors who have demonstrated the highest level of

PHOTO: MATTHEW COHEN

crewing ability.
Tucker juggled crew roles in the 29er, and 420, as well as skippered in the CFJ and Laser classes on the Santa Barbara Race Team.
Tucker also won the Ryan O’Shaughnessy Outstanding Sailor award, which according to SBYF, is an honor given to the sailor who demonstrates his or her dedication to the SBYSF activities by hanging around the harbor, working on boats, splicing new line sets at home, and constantly looking for new resources from which to learn.
According to SBYF the winner this year is someone who has truly been a leader on his high school sailing team, and who has put in as much or more time than anyone on the road, in the air, and on the water for sailing.
Tucker placed 16th out of 104 boats in the C420 fleet at Orange Bowl, 40th/155 at the 29er European Championships, and 2nd/36 at the SCYYRA Perry Series in C420s.
In addition to his local accomplishments, in July Tucker proved himself in competition. He participated in competitions in Oregon and Europe in hopes of improving his skills and boosting his eligibility to be recruited for col

lege teams.
Tucker placed fourth out of 14 29er boats in the Pacific Coast Championships held in Cascade Locks, which known to the sailors as “The Gorge,” a river that forms the natural border between Oregon and Washington.
Later the same month Tucker flew to Brissago, Switzerland where, from July 13 to 26, he and teammate Jack Jordanson, a senior at Saint Francis High School in Long Beach, competed in the 29er European Championships on Lake Maggiore, on the boarder of northern Italy and  Switzerland.
The team finished 15th out of 40 boats in the silver fleet and 40th out of 155 boats overall.
The women of the team were also recognized for their accomplishments.
Savanna was awarded the Outstanding Jr. Women’s Skipper  SBCW Perpetual, according to SBYF, the trophy was donated by the Santa Barbara Yacht Club’s Woman Group, and is given to the individual who has been judged to have made a significant contribution to the junior sailing activities at SBYF.

Cassidy received the Outstanding Jr. Woman Sailor Katherine Brown Perpetual, which according to SBYF, is given annually to the girl who has been judged to have made a significant contribution to the junior sailing program.
It is not  based solely on excellence in competition but also on sportsmanship and integrity.
For Savanna and Tucker this is their last year on the school sailing team and at SBYF, but team captain Savanna has confidence in Cassidy and sophomore team member, Cuyler Zimmerman, to keep the team strong after she and Tucker leave.  “I  am  sad  it’s my last year, but I have hopes that they will  continue to su

cceed after we are gone,” said Savanna.