Girls Soccer Team Takes the Condor League Title

IMG_1137After a long competitive hour and thirty-five minute match on Wednesday February 10th the Lady Owls had a 2-1 victory over the Dunn Earwigs. From having lost to the Owls in a close game two weeks prior, the Earwigs put the pressure on the Owls right from the start which earned them a penalty kick in the first 15 minutes; however, one of Dunn’s center midfield players, Madison Amanda, misfired on the penalty kick leaving the match scoreless. After that penalty kick, Laguna realized that the intensity would need to be picked up if they wanted to take the Condor League Title and secure a good seed in CIF pool play. In the 30th minute, Alex Koke was taken down in the box, giving Laguna a chance to take the lead with a penalty kick. With an easy pass to the bottom left corner of the goal, Laguna scored making the game 1-0— therefore increasing the pressure on Dunn. Not wanting to give up, the Earwigs, in the second half, tied the score in the 67th minute off a one touch hit off a corner kick by the Earwigs left forward.

Sophomore Kendall White remarks, “Even though Dunn scored we did not give up. Instead of feeling down and undetermined, our whole team started playing even better and we were determined to get another goal and win the game.”

IMG_1133With the pressure building on both teams, Laguna finally had an opportunity to take the lead again. Sophomore Sophia Fay had a fast break away on the left side of the field and was able to dribble the ball all the way down to the 18-yard box. Dunn’s defense over-rotated to the right to try and take the ball away, but Fay skilfully dribbled past everyone. Fay crossed the ball to Koke who let the ball roll past to Kelly Bickett who took one touch and ripped it into the the back of the net and taking the lead with only five minutes left in the match. Thanks to senior goalie Dani Abrams and the Owl’s defense, Laguna was able to hold off the attacking Earwigs for the remaining five minutes of the game. This is the Girls Soccer Team’s second Condor League Title. Sadly the Owls were cut short in their first CIF round with a final score of 3-2.

$50
$500