25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

theaterplayA&EFresh, funny, and fetching: the Laguna Blanca spring musical, The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee, was a winsome production. Premiering Wednesday evening the show ran from the April 23 through April 26.
“Charles Donelan had originally planted the seed in my head that it would be a great fit for Laguna: intellectually savvy, heartfelt and hilarious,” director and head of the drama department Kate Bergstrom said.
The play contained quite a bit of improvisation, something which seemed daunting to many of the actors at first, but which paid off greatly.
Many of the students in the play are relatively new to the stage; in fact, a few were performing for the first time. “The Spelling bee was truly an experience all should have. I aimed to put the audience through catharsis, and that is what I did,” said sophomore Chandler Aubrey, who was the Vice Principal Panch understudy.
However, some experienced actors call the stage home and were happy to help out others and add to the supportive and silly atmosphere.
“People say this was the best Laguna musical they had ever seen and I would have to agree. This cast was the most hilarious, tight-knit, dedicated group of friends,” said sophomore Bea Tolan, who portrayed Leaf Coneybear.
“We have a superb amount of new talent coming up the ranks and, while Margaret and Allie have been pillars in the theater, their legacy will live on. They have been inspiring the next generation of theater artists. This show specifically proved that the program is thriving. This ever-growing and shifting ensemble of completely ingenious weirdoes (myself included), with their specific niches and talents, are really making something special,” Ms. Bergstrom said.