A Gathering of Scholars Inducted into the Cum Laude Society

newlaude
Cum Laude Society members gather on the lawn in front of the Spaulding Auditorium after the induction ceremony. Left to right, Stephen McCaffery, Lucia Hartmann, Lindsay Ligon, Chloe Brown, Erica Keane, Ethan Katnic, Clara Madsen, Scott Johnston, Allison Lewis Towbes, Justin Bollag, Margaret Lazarovits, and Miles Crist.

The Cum Laude Society honors scholastic achievement in secondary schools for the purpose of promoting areté (excellence), diké (justice) and timé (honor).
The Society was founded with the intention of being modeled after Phi Beta Kappa in 1906.
Since then, it has multiplied into 382 chapters all over the world, each of which honors the top 10 percent of junior and senior classes.
On April 24, nine students were inducted into this prestigious society in a special assembly.
Dr. Karl Revells, director of college counseling; Mr. Richard Marracino, interim head of school; along with Mr. Tyler Hodges, head of Upper School led the introductions for this ceremony, including welcoming the guest speaker.
Alumnus Sean Copeland ‘95 reflected on his time at Laguna and credited former teachers Mr. Angeloff, Ms. Nordgaarden, Dr. Miller and Dr. Lorber with preparing him for life and so much more.
He is currently a software engineer at Yardley Systems.
Cum Laude Society members, Chloë Brown, Margaret Lazarovits, Lindsay Ligon and Clara Madsen, presented the honor to their peers, speaking about each individually.
“I was really happy I got to induct one of my best friends and two juniors,” Margaret said.
Instated this year were Lucia Hartmann, Erica Keane, Allison Lewis Towbes and Tristan Prinz, who missed the ceremony due to a tennis tournament.
“I hope I made [my mom] proud,” Tristan said.
From the class of 2015, five students were inducted at the assembly: Justin Bollag, Miles Crist, Scott Johnson, Ethan Katnic and Stephen McCaffery.
Honorees received pins and certificates.