Seniors Bring Nutcracker to Life

Since she was two years old, senior Jeté Dongieux has been a ballerina, and every year thereafter, she has been a dancer in the Nutcracker Ballet, based on the story “The Nutcracker and the King of Mice” written by E.T.A. Hoffman.

Such a long commitment clearly demonstrates why Jeté loves this show: “I think so many companies perform it because it’s a classic. It is seasonal and fun for families to get into the holiday spirit by seeing the Nutcracker.”

Jeté is starring as a Dew Drop in the Dance of the Snow. Just as it has for the past 37 years, the Santa Barbara Festival Ballet will perform at the Arlington with a full symphony orchestra.

Over the years, this very company has become like a family to Jeté.

“I love performing and rehearsing with all my dance sisters on the weekend. Even though the commitment does get in the way of my social life, it feels good to work out in the morning doing something you love.”

Fellow senior Bryana Schantz has also been in love with the Nutcracker since her first year as a four-year-old in ballet classes.

While her company has been performing with the State Street Ballet for the past five years, she fondly remembers her early years as “a baby angel.”

“I remember always looking up to the older girls and admiring their skill. It is weird to think that now I am one of them,” said Bryana.

Although she started her dancing career as a party girl, Bryana now stars in the dances of the Princesses and the Waltz of the Flowers.

Dancing sixteen hours a week, rehearsing for nine of those hours, and continuing to persevere is what has brought her to the top.

Many of these hours are spent working with the professional dance company, which she says has given her a glimpse into the professional world of dance, while at
the same time she is privy to their expertise.

For the first time the companies will be working with a live full symphony orchestra which, while invigorating, also presents new challenges.

The dancers now have to constantly adapt to the challenge of having a conductor rather than having a set, routine score.

But Bryana doesn’t mind: “No matter how many times I hear the songs, I never get tired of it. It reminds me of my favorite time of year and evokes many special memories.”