Upper School Hosts Field Day

In an effort to create another community event and a day of bonding for the students, Head of Upper School Mr. John Berry led the preparations for an Upper School field day.

On May 16, Upper School students took advantage of the warm spring weather by taking a non-academic school day to enjoy some fun and games on the Hope Ranch campus field.

Students started off the day by cheering for the senior class as they participated in a dunk tank activity planned solely for this year’s graduating class.

Throughout the day the stu- dent body and faculty had the opportunity to work together in teams and compete in various field games.

Team building exercises included; obstacle courses, eat- ing contests, human pyramids, and water balloon tosses. Various group challenges were also organized–one of which included strategically fitting all members of a team into a van.

Taking a break from the games around noon, students enjoyed a barbecue lunch on the field and had time to relax with friends.

“I enjoyed the day hanging-out with my friends. The laid back competitions were great,” senior Sean Burke said.

Non-academic school days are not a common occurrence in high schools today, especially in private, academically focused schools like Laguna Blanca.

When asked what urged him to make this event happen, Mr. Berry said, “I wanted the school to come together to have fun and build more school spirit, and at the same time, find a way to compliment what we have in the Jogathon, but make it happen in the spring.”

“I want this to be the first annual and one of many to come. If students are in favor, then let’s make it happen,” Mr. Berry said.

Mr. Berry hopes that the Lower and Middle Schools will join in years to come and help to expand this opportunity to strengthen school spirit and unify the student body.

“I wanted to have this Field Day three years ago and, for one reason or another, it never got off the ground.

I did not want another year to pass without the kids having an opportunity to have fun together before they departed for summer.

All in all, I witnessed many happy faces today. Just seeing the upperclassmen and women working with our 9th and 10th graders in the different events was worth the few months of planning.”

View Comments (1)
$50
$500