Men: Objectified too?

Flip through the glossy pages of any perfumed fashion magazine to be visually accosted by images of Barbie-like idealized women flaunting mile-long legs, flawless skin and perfectly preened manes of flowing blonde hair.
The social pressures imposed on American women have become nearly unbearable.
Media portrays the image of an idealistic woman, perfect from every angle. In turn, young women throughout the nation expect themselves to mirror such an image.
Recently, the issue of visual and physical idealism has been brought to light by media giants such as OWN, Oprah Winfrey’s Oprah Winfrey Network, which aired the documentary, “Miss Representation” at public venues such as the  2011 Sundance Film Festival to help bring awareness to the social pressures imposed on women by the media.
The documentary, like many others of its genre, critique the social consequences of such idealism and imagery as portrayed by the media.
However, contrary to the focus on women, men are hardly mentioned as being objectified in the media.
Is it true? Are men just as objectified in the media as women are?
Why does the media seemingly turn a blind eye on the objectification of men, while focusing their resources on bringing awareness to the objectification of women?
The truth? The media objectifies men just as much as they do women.
Tanned skin, perfect hair, defined muscles, it’s all there, yet overlooked by thousands for the long legged flowing haired female at his side.
Men and teenage boys throughout the nation are just as pressured as women are to live up to the impossible standards of beauty and perfection.
Turn on the television during any sports game to find endless ads directing male viewers to buy cars, energy drinks, alcohol and electronics.
The men in each ad appear flawlessly airbrushed, almost plastic. Yet, for centuries men have been expected to take the dominant role in society.
Why is it that the media has suddenly brought to light the objectification of women, yet managed to keep that of the opposite gender shrouded in the dark?
This social pressure of masculinity has only grown as technology and advertising has expanded.
Once part of a mere societal hierarchy, the media has created a social monster demanding Barbie and Ken, the perfect power couple: beautiful and physically flawless in every way, witty, successful, smart, and wealthy, the image has become so highly engineered it’s nearly impossible to achieve.
How long will it be until the breaking point? Where the images in the glossy pages of fashion magazines no longer resemble real people, but idealized portraits of them, at what point will society finally reject such blatant marketing?
Perhaps that point has already arrived, yet we’re too close to see it clearly.